Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Ricotta Cheddar Bacon: Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe

I wanted to be more experimental with my second sandwich. Bacon was a must. Ricotta popped into my head next. But I mistakenly assumed ricotta was a crumbly cheese. Those cheese or lasagna experts out there know better. It's less solid, more creamy. No problem. I'd make it work. I naturally chose sharp cheddar again because it's just that good (and I had a lot left over after the first sandwich). The result:
Ricotta, sharp cheddar & bacon grilled cheese sandwich

Ingredients

Ricotta

Sharp cheddar

Bacon (2 pieces)

Bread (2 slices)

Directions

Fry two pieces of bacon until crispy. Set those aside for the fat to drain off. Butter one side of each slice of bread. Spread ricotta on the opposite side of one slice of bread. Add one or two slices of sharp cheddar. Cook in a skillet to your liking. Pull the bread apart and insert bacon. Eat.

 The Verdict

At first taste, I was a little skeptical of this sandwich. It was an interesting combination, but one that I found, as I continued eating, worked well together. It was different. But not bad. Definitely not your typical grilled cheese. The bacon added great flavor (of course!) and crunchiness to the sandwich. The ricotta made for an interesting flavor paired with the cheddar and bacon. The taste reminded me of a breakfast sandwich (without the egg)—a classy breakfast sandwich. I think a better bread might just do the trick.

What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. Your grilled cheese blog is so cute! The bacon ricotta sandwich sounds great. I know they have a fuji apple grilled cheese at the Fountain - maybe if you made one with apples it would be better than theirs. One thing I would try is to add a little garlic to the butter that you spread on the bread. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the garlic thing! And I'm up for trying anything so I'll probably try to replicate the fuji apple grilled cheese too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so great Alex. Great layout!!

    ReplyDelete