Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Crusty Aged Cheddar Jack: Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe

I wanted a lot of cheese for the initial sandwich. After several minutes of standing in the cheese aisle at Jewel Osco, contemplating what might taste best together, I just grabbed three cheeses at random. You can't go wrong with cheese, right? Choosing the bread was easy. The result:

Swiss, sharp cheddar & colby jack grilled cheese sandwich
Ingredients

Crusty sourdough bread (2 slices)

Aged Swiss

Sharp cheddar

Colby jack

Butter*

Directions

Butter one side of each slice of bread.* Layer the cheeses between each slice. Put in a skillet. Place a lid over the skillet to ensure the cheese melts evenly. Flip when necessary (to prevent burning). Eat.

*Because I always butter the outside of each slice of bread, I won't always include it in the ingredients/directions.

The Verdict

Overall, very delicious. But, until I or someone else prove otherwise, I'm under the impression grilled cheese cannot be screwed up. The three cheeses melted perfectly together (thanks to the lid), creating a wonderful sandwich. I could have done with a little less cheese. And I felt like something should be added. I'm biased in thinking dill pickle slices make any grilled cheese better, but tomato may just make this sandwich one of my favorites...so far.

What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. sounds delicious! Bacon can always pep something up.
    --Lauren

    ReplyDelete