Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Greasy Italian: Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe

On a recent trip to Jewel Osco, as I scanned the deli counter case, I came across an almost forgotten cheese—mozzarella. That cheese, I decided, would define this sandwich. But I wanted an additional cheese. Moving my eyes to the right I found the answer. This would be my Italian grilled cheese, I decided. A topping and some spice would make it complete. The result:

The greasy Italian grilled cheese sandwich
Ingredients

Bread (2 slices)

Provolone

Mozzarella

Tomato (2 slices)

Olive Oil

Basil

Directions

Butter one side of each slice of bread. Add a slice of provolone and a slice and a half of mozzarella. Place two tomato slices on top of the cheese. Use a knife to spread a small amount of olive oil on one slice of the bread. Sprinkle some basil on top of that slice. Cook in a skillet. Eat.

The Verdict

While the idea for my Italian style grilled cheese sandwich sounded good on paper, it didn't taste as good as it looked. Maybe it was the fact that I accidentally dropped the sandwich on the kitchen floor before eating it that made the taste less than satisfactory (don't worry, it was under five seconds, and I blew it off). Or there are a number of other factors that could explain its lackluster taste. It had a slight sweet taste to it, probably because of the tomato and basil. I don't know about the rest of you, but I like more of a salty taste when it comes to grilled cheese. Maybe adding a sauce could do the trick. Any suggestions?

What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. I made a version of your Italian sandwich, using spaghetti sauce on one of the slices of bread instead of the tomato. It tasted good, kinda of like a pizza roll. (I forgot to put garlic on the bread, but I think that would be good, also.)

    ReplyDelete